Saturday, October 9, 2010

Thanks for a Decent Night, Keps

After flying out of Richmond, Virginia at 6:01 AM Friday morning, I arrived at the Peoria International (haha) Airport at 9 AM this morning. Although I only got three hours of sleep, I joined my mom for RPM spinning class at Five Points, Washington's community center/gym. After starting laundry and eating lunch, I realized I was exhausted and laid down for a nap.

That evening I went to the Mexican [restaurant] with my parents. My dad asked me what my plans were for the night, and I told him that I was going to Keps, a local sports bar. Keps is one of Washington’s finest and was just rebuilt after burning down just over a year ago. My dad was interested in checking out the new Keps, so we headed there for a few drinks, even though I’d be going back later that night.

Only an hour after leaving Keps, my friend Sarah picked me up to go right back. When we walked into the bar, Tara and Sarah both got carded, but the bouncer took one look at me and said, “Weren’t you just here?” Me: “Yes, with my parents….”

My girlfriends, Sarah, Tara, Kayleigh, and I were enjoying catching up over a few drinks and people watching. Townie bars like Keps are best for people watching. However, there are things you don’t want to see—like your middle school and high school teachers dancing. After the Washington Community High School home football game finished, Keps got noticeably fuller, which was when a lot of our old teachers started pouring in. Although it was karaoke night, someone must have requested, “Get Low.” At first I was pleased to take a break from the usual country karaoke songs, but I couldn’t have been more wrong. All of the teachers present moved out onto the dance floor and began dancing. There are some things you can never unsee, and even though I didn’t want to look, it was like watching a train-wreck.


All in all though, it was a good evening. We had decided to leave, and then a few guys from our class walked into the bar. We caught up with them and then headed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment