Friday, October 8, 2010

You're Traveling in That?

At 4 o’clock this morning, a cab pulled up outside my house to take me to the airport. Mr. Cabbie was quite friendly, chatting the entire way downtown. We drove miles down Monument, a main thoroughfare, and the closer we got to downtown, the homes got larger and more beautiful. Mr. Cabbie informed me that we’d be stopping downtown to pick up another gentleman. I’ve never had to share a cab with a stranger before, and I didn’t know this was even allowed. The women from the University of Richmond Chapter had paid my fare in advance. Did he get paid double to take us both? Whatever, not my biggest concern.

The gentleman we picked up downtown was quite fascinating. He travels around the country speaking about the lung disease Alpha-1, a rare genetic mutation which causes a lack of trypsin protein, causing COPD. I explained to him that I am going to medical school next year, which caused him to go into even further detail about his disease. He gave me his business card with instructions to “Google him later.” His website apparently has a lot more information about the disease. We got to the airport shortly thereafter and headed our separate ways.

It always surprises me how busy the airport can be at 4:30 AM. Today there are a lot of soldiers leaving for training. I mean, lots of them. It was quite impressive to see so many people in uniform. I am also struck by the other people I come across in the airports. Most peculiar to me are the women who dress to the nines to travel. In my experience, they usually aren’t the classiest women either, with outfits appropriate for street walking, or at the minimum, night-clubbing. Who do you think you’re going to meet in the airport that you need to wear 6” platform stilettos and a short skirt? People aren’t staring because you look so great; they are staring because you look ridiculous and uncomfortable.

I, on the other hand, am enjoying a very casual travel day. I usually travel in business casual attire because I am going to visits. Today though, I am going home, and I woke up at 3:30 AM. Therefore, I’m wearing cropped yoga pants, running shoes, my favorite American Apparel t-shirt, and a fleece. With the help of some mascara and under-eye brightener I think I look more awake than would be expected of anyone at this hour. In my vain opinion I look much more attractive than any of those women in stilettos and short dresses.

1 comment:

  1. Sarah,

    I can't imagine traveling in business attire all of the time! How do you do it? Tell me there's some super-comfy business attire suits available at Ann Taylor!

    :)

    ReplyDelete