Thursday, February 17, 2011

Ok, Ok I Need to Blog: Part Two

Continued from Part One...

After a fun weekend in Boston, I took an early morning train to the University of Connecticut for the week. I was really excited to go back to UConn, because I got along so well with the chapter women when I was there in the fall. Last time I forgot to take pictures, so this time, I have a few pictures of the house covered in snow!!


Here's a picture of Hannah, the chapter President, and I in front of the house. With the various snow storms they've had, they have 3-4' of snow on the ground!


While I was in Connecticut, they got SO MUCH SNOW. I recognize that the entire country was being dumped on that week, but really, it was a lot. UConn actually ended up having two snow days while I was there! The first day there was a lot of snow, and the second day there was a lot of ice! Since the roads were so bad, I had all of my meals on campus. Trekking to and from the dining halls for meals was adventurous and comparably dangerous to hiking Mount Everest :)

Having snow days was interesting, because I still had a job to do, and many of the chapter officers live in the house. But when I wasn't in meetings, we were all just hanging out and being goofy. It was hard to focus and actually get work done!!

After my week in Connecticut, I traveled to Columbus, Ohio, home of Kappa Kappa Gamma Headquarters, for a Risk Management Focus Group. Seven chapter women, an RDC, the Fraternity Risk Management Chairman, and I were in attendance for the weekend. It was a busy and productive weekend. We scoured through the Fraternity's risk management procedures, policies, and documents, trying to see where adjustments needed to be made. I have always had an interest in risk management, but after the weekend, I have such a deeper understanding and appreciation for it. We had a lot of suggestions for the Fraternity, and I hope we can see a lot of them implemented in the next year!

Here is a picture of the group of us at HQ for the weekend.


Following my weekend in Columbus, I traveled down to Orlando, Florida for one last visit to Rollins College. The weather was just gorgeous that week, and I took a picture of the lake by Rollins when I was out jogging one afternoon.


This year, I have visited the Rollins chapter four times and have grown close with the chapter women. There are a few other chapters I have been to twice, but this is the only chapter I have been to four different times. It has been interesting and exciting to watch them grow, and I am amazed by how much they have learned this year. At the end of the week, they gave me a beautiful key necklace as a thank you gift. I honestly wish I could go back. Not to mention, I met a cute guy while I was in Orlando :)


This week I'm at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, TN. UTK was my second visit of the entire year, and it has been really fun to be back. I'm having a lot of fun with the chapter women, especially because its not so hectic during regular visits. I think they like me too. Last night we accidentally killed a Kappa sister's beta fish while cleaning the tank. A group of us rushed out to a 24-hour Wal-Mart, convinced that we could replace her fish without her ever knowing. Of course, she realized right away that her fish looked different. After getting over the initial shock, she was surprisingly calm about the situation and decided to name her new beta fish "Roszhart." I, of course, am very flattered.

This weekend, I'll be traveling with the UTK-Epsilon Lambda Kappas to Nashville, TN for the Nu Province Meeting. Province Meetings are held on the opposite year as Convention Meetings, and are on a much smaller scale. I am really excited to see some old faces and get to meet a lot of new Kappas! At the end of the weekend, I will be traveling to Kentucky with the Beta Chi KKG chapter!

No comments:

Post a Comment