Monday, September 6, 2010

My So-Called Job

After posting a link to my blog on my Facebook wall, I had a few people question the legitimacy of my job. Although my first few blog posts described my role as a Leadership Consultant, I don't know that everyone has taken the time to go back and read all of my posts...and I do not expect them to. But instead, I would like to offer an explanation about my job and how my blog correlates with it.

There are eight Leadership Consultants working for Kappa Kappa Gamma, and between the group of us, we travel to every Kappa chapter around the country. We are assigned to visit a different university each week and are matched based on skill set and personality. Every Sunday afternoon I fly into a chapter, and every Friday morning I leave a chapter, and our weekends are free to do as we please...in general. With recruitment visits or other specific things, we may be asked to stay over the weekend.

During my stay at a chapter I am responsible for meeting individually with every officer (there are 18 of them), giving presentations to the chapter and chapter council, meeting with different advisers to the chapter and the Greek Life Director, evaluating and teaching ritual, and overall just getting to know each chapter. Contrary to common belief, my job can get stressful at times too. Each chapter has their strengths and weaknesses, and as a Leadership Consultant, it is my job to not only celebrate their successes, but to help them through their tough times. I work at least 50 hours a week, and much more than that during recruitment visits.

I get to have a lot of fun too. Chapters will usually plan meals and other fun events in the evening for me. Some days I have a few hours of free time, and I love to explore the area I'm in if there's not anything pressing to get done.

Although I love all of my meetings and preparing reports about the chapters I visit, it is not something I ever talk about in my blogs. The content of these meetings is either too boring or too personal to be shared on a social media tool. Instead, I like to blog about the fun things I do in the week and the different travel experience I get to have.

I do think I have the best job in the world. We get free food, free travel, free board, and get to meet wonderful people all over the country. But I do work hard every day, even if my blog doesn't necessarily reflect that.

2 comments:

  1. You go, girl! Really though, I've been impressed you've found the time to blog - and I love reading along. Thanks for sharing! Keep on doing your little perfectly. :) Miss you!

    ReplyDelete