Sunday, September 5, 2010

Wazzu?

Throughout my week at Whitman College, I had heard the Kappa sisters refer to other colleges around the area. I had heard the name “Wazzu” thrown around and had no idea what they were referring to. As the week came to a close, I was discussing my travel plans with the chapter members and told them I was going to “WSU” for the weekend to visit Tiffany, a chapter consultant (same job as me, but stationary) for Kappa Kappa Gamma. Turns out WSU is known as “Wazzu” or however you spell it. Guess that’s like the University of Missouri being called Mizzou. I get it now, haha.

On Friday morning I rented a car and drove from Walla Walla, WA to Pullman, WA. It’s only about a two hour drive, and the entire thing was wheat fields and blue sky. Absolutely gorgeous. I dropped my car off at the Pullman/Moscow airport and Tiffany picked me up. It was SO great to see a familiar face!

We went back to the gorgeous Kappa house at Washington State and
dropped my stuff off before heading out to lunch. She drove me to Moscow, Idaho and we had lunch there. On the way back to Pullman (only a few miles away) we passed a sign for a local winery and decided we should go. We went back to campus, picked up Tiffany’s friend Ray, and headed to Merry Winery on the outskirts of Pullman.
At Merry Winery we got to taste all of their wine (for free!) and take a tour of the winery. I told Patrick, the owner, that I was “in my element” as we passed all sorts of flasks, Bunsen burners, and different distillation tools. Tiffany and Ray are both getting their MBAs and did not find the same interest in the chemistry that I did. At the end of our tasting, we asked Patrick to take a picture with us and he gladly agreed.
After our adventure to the winery, we baked cookies, then joined Ray in the dining hall (on Ray of course). We decided to go out dancing that night, so Tiffany and I headed back to the Kappa house to get ready for the evening. As I was blow-drying my hair, I blew a fuse in Tiffany’s room. Everything was dark and Tiffany and I searched around for the circuit breaker. With little luck, we enlisted the help of the house mom. She took us to different circuit breakers arou
nd the house, and I swear we flipped every switch. With no luck, we hunted for clothes in the dark using our cell phones as flashlights and headed upstairs to finish getting ready. The electrician wasn’t able to come out Saturday, and it wasn’t until Sunday morning that we had electricity in the basement again! Oops.

Saturday was the perfect day. Tiffany and I slept in late, went for a walk, grabbed coffee, and then in the early afternoon decided to go to Spokane for the day. Spokane is only ab
out an hour away, so we hopped in the car and left. We did too much shopping, got sushi for dinner, and Fro-Yo before heading back to Pullman.

Sunday we got up early (largely due to the celebration of having electricity again) and went for a great run through town. We went to a local coffee shop in town and Tiffany studied for her Finance test while I finished up my paperwork from my Whitman visit. We went to see “Eat, Pray, Love,” that night then drove to Idaho for dinner. Since I've never been to Idaho, I had to take pictures!



It was the perfect relaxing weekend. Exactly what I needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment