Thursday, July 15, 2010

A high maintenance girl

Every morning I get ready and glimpse around my room. "How and the heck am I going to cut it next year?" I think. My shower has every kind of shampoo, conditioner, bodywash, and facewash a girl could ask for. You may wonder, does a girl need 6 different types of shampoo? The answer is no, I do not need them. But I want them. My closest, even after a thorough cleaning out/donation frenzy, is still full to the brim. I could wear a different outfit everyday for a year, provided I'm willing to wear some bizarre combinations come November or December.

This next year is going to teach me how to "simplify". I'm not exactly going to a third world country, but packing in one large and one carry-on sized suitcase will be "roughing it" as far as I'm concerned. Anyone who knows me knows that I am incredibly particular and quite the planner/organizer. I have been packing for this year (in my mind) since I was offered the job. During summer shopping trips I have allowed myself to buy only sorority business casual clothes for next year with the exception of a few summer must-haves. I have also purchased packing cubes, two different toiletry kits, a new hair dryer, a travel steamer, and new luggage tags. My next purchases will likely be a portable luggage scale and resistance bands for on-the-go workouts.

Target sells a perfect little luggage scale, and I've been debating it for awhile. My current method of weighing my luggage goes as such:
1) Step on the scale and weigh myself
2) Grumble about gaining two or three pounds
3) Hold my suitcase and weigh me+suitcase
4) Do some math and find the difference!

So far this method has been working out well for me, but I don't know if I'll have access to a scale everywhere, so I want a travel scale. I'm not sure what I'd do if I was over the weight limit anyway.... throw out my least favorite outfit on the road? And buying dumb things like travel scales is whats going to put me over 50 pounds.

Packing clothes is going to be a challenge. Previous LC's have joked about their Monday outfit, Tuesday outfit, Wednesday outfit, etc. I can see this will likely be the case, but I'm wondering what the girls from Montana and Rollins are going to think when I wear the same outfits to both of my visits. Shoes are going to be even more difficult. I have decided to go with a black color scheme wardrobe (aka no brown) so that I only have to pick black shoes and can hopefully have a wider variety. I honestly think I'll be ok, until the first snow hits and I'm crying for my UGG boots. 1) UGGs would take up a lot of room in a suitcase and are also fairly heavy. 2) Apparently UGG boots are not business casual. Try telling that to my Creighton University sorority sisters who think they are appropriate for formal chapter. I have to admit, I never disagreed when there was a foot of snow on the ground. Anyway, no reason to stress out about boots now. It was 95 degrees today.

As August 1 creeps closer, there will inevitably be some packing drama.

No comments:

Post a Comment